Susan Frieri, 51, of Branch Avenue, was transported to Riverview Medical Center by Little Silver volunteer first aiders on the 11:20 a.m. call of a possible house fire, said Captain Darren McConnell.
Red Bank firefighters also responded to the address, at the corner of East Bergen Place, to find that other family members had smothered a stove fire.
McConnell said Frieri was melting wax in a pot on the stove when, after briefly leaving it unattended, she returned and found the wax boiling over and on fire.
Smoke from the fire prompted neighbors to call in a house fire, he said.
Frieri apparently tried to put out the fire or move the pot, resulting in second-degree burns to her hands, McConnell said. She also suffered a superficial facial burn, he said.
McConnell said last word was that Frieri was to be transferred to the Burn Center at St. Barnabas in Livingston for treatment.