RED BANK: VISCOMI DISPUTES SHE QUIT RACE

Suzanne Viscomi during her 2012 council run. (Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

[UPDATE: See Cindy Burham comments below]

Red Bank borough council candidate Suzanne Viscomi had not in fact dropped out of the race last week, as reported by the Asbury Park Press, she says in a web posting that tees up her former running mate, Cindy Burnham, for running on a “a personal vendetta and to appease her ego.”

But whether Viscomi is still running, well, you’ll have to wait until Wednesday to find out, she tells redbankgreen.

In a dirty-laundry posting to her campaign website last Thursday and noticed Monday, Viscomi said she was not contacted for the Press story, later picked up by redbankgreen, that reported she’d dropped out of the race.

The Press attributed the news to local GOP chairman Jack Minton, reporting that Minton “confirmed that Viscomi told the committee she was withdrawing from the race.”

But on her website, Viscomi writes:

On 5/15/2013, I was unaware of any www.app.com article. I was never contacted by any reporter for a confirmation. No official resignation was ever signed. At the time I had no intentions except to represent the citizens of Red Bank. Cindy B, once again acted erratically and contacted the reporter on her own accord. Truthfully, we have very different points of view on how to win this election.

I stated from day one, regardless of the party, anyone who runs for any office should do it with the right intentions. Cindy did not like that I wanted this campaign to have a positive message, one about the voters and address the issue of rising taxes. She is making it a personal vendetta and to appease her ego. She still can’t even find a treasurer because that someone will be responsible and liable for her campaign, which puts that person at risk.

For my own best interest and the betterment of the overall Republican Party, I will now step aside.

Asked Monday whether she was in the race or not, Viscomi declined to answer, except to tell redbankgreen that she had not withdrawn at the time of the Press story and would make an announcement about her candidacy at Wednesday night’s council meeting.

“I’ll be finalizing my plans for going forward” between now and then, she said, adding that although she still “likes and respects” the local GOP, she may run as an independent. She has until June 4 to decide.

She declined to expand on her published comments about Burnham.

Burnham, in turn, tells redbankgreen that Viscomi “did make her decision not to run, and it had nothing to do with me,” citing an email from Viscomi to that effect. She also said the GOP is looking for a replacement candidate.

“I wish Suzanne all the best,” Burnham said. “It’s time to now move forward. I plan to have a positive campaign.”

Viscomi and Burnham were vying for seats held by incumbents Sharon Lee and Kathy Horgan, who are seeking re-election to the all-Democrat governing body.

Share This: