Remembering the dead of the September 11, 2001 attacks on American soil is part of the “vigilance” against future acts of terrorism, Red Bank Mayor Pasquale Menna said at a commemoration held in Riverside Gardens Park Sunday morning, 15 years after the tragedy.
The area’s longest-running community carnival returns as the 57th annual Fair Haven Firemen’s Fair gets underway Friday night. (Photo and video by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Generations on the Greater Red Bank Green have known it as a bittersweet occasion — a last dance with the devil-may-care pleasures of the season before that inevitable pivot to thoughts of “back to school” and “where’s my sweater?”
The Fair Haven Firemen’s Fair is all of that and more, and when this oldest (and, many agree, greatest) of all local carnivals puts down stakes for a 57th annual edition that begins Friday evening, it will hold as many different meanings (and represent as many vivid memories) as there are people who have thrilled to its rides, vied for its prizes and stood in line for an order from its celebrated seafood café.
Their century-old stationhouse at 40 White Street may have been decommissioned and, as reported here on redbankgreen, green-lighted for a retail/residential conversion. But that hasn’t stopped the volunteer firefighters of Red Bank’s Liberty Hose Company from returning to their long-time home turf for an event that’s taken its place among the borough’s most colorful annual traditions: the Red Bank Firefighters Classic Car Show.
Fire damaged a vacant retail building at the corner of Shrewsbury Avenue and Catherine Street in Red Bank at about 8 p.m. Monday evening. The blaze was quickly brought under control by volunteer firefighters. Information about the cause was not immediately available.
The building, located at 203 Shrewsbury, next door to On the Rocks Wines and liquors, was last used as a fish market, but has been vacant since the 1990s. Property records indicate it is owned by Sandyriver LLC of Holmdel. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Flames were visible from the courtyard side of the unit, above. Below, resident Kevin Tuohy, in striped shirt, speaks with a neighbor while one of the rescued dogs sits in a crate nearby. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
By JOHN T. WARD
Police responding to the 4:08 p.m. alarm at the Hilltop Terrace condos on Spring Street escorted Kevin Tuohy, a retired Little Silver police officer, from the burning apartment after an adult female said to have been his daughter had already escaped with several dogs, authorities said.
A portion of Red Bank’s West Side, including a stretch of Shrewsbury Avenue, above, was briefly without electricity Tuesday night as a result of a burned wire at Bridge Avenue and Chestnut Street, right. First Energy/JCP&L reported about 427 customers affected in the 90-minute outage before power was restored at 10 p.m.
During the outage, volunteer firefighters responded to a report of a gas leak on a darkened block of Shrewsbury Avenue near Monmouth Street. Fire Chief Chris Soden said no evidence of a leak was detected; other neighbors reported smelling a skunk or marijuana. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Their help contained the fire to the facade and porch roof, said Fire Chief Chris Soden, seen at center above. Information about the cause of the fire was not immediately available. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Little Silver’s historic Parker Homestead plans to honor the borough’s volunteer fire department Sunday. LSFD memorabilia will be on display inside the historic farmhouse, which will also be showing off some recent renovations, and a fire truck will be present for kids to climb into and around. Abundant sunshine and warm temperatures are forecast. The event runs from 1 to 4 p.m. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Four months after the Brownstone Dry Cleaner and Laundromat on Monmouth Street in Red Bank was evicted over tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid rent, the self-serve laundromat portion of the operation is expected to reopen soon under new management, one of the building’s owners tells redbankgreen. Nearly all dry-cleaned clothing left behind by the former tenant has been returned to customers, and the storefont at the corner of Pearl Street remains available for lease, the owner said. (Click to enlarge)
Sea Bright volunteer firefighters revived an unconscious cat at the site of an apartment fire early Tuesday morning, the fire department reported on its Facebook page.
According to the post, stations 43 and 33 were dispatched to a townhouse in the Sea Bright Village for a reported structure fire. There, they encountered a blaze in the second story of a middle unit.
Nicholas Joyce, 19, was alleged to have set a fire to a storage shed behind a church Friday afternoon. He then went to the borough firehouse, where he responded to the fire with other volunteers, according to Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.
By JOHN T. WARD
The new owners of the former Liberty Hose Company firehouse on White Street hope to convert the 105-year-old building into a restaurant, with two luxury apartments upstairs.
The Red Bank borough council honored three police officers — from left, Tanner Shea, TD Doremus and Cevin Albert — as lifesavers Wednesday night for their roles in the rescue of a senior citizen from smoke-filled apartment at the Wesleyan Arms apartments on January 1.
Seventy-nine-year-old Michael Malloy was asleep when a lighted cigarette set his mattress on fire, authorities said. The officers, responding to a medical call, heard his cries for help and then crawled through the smoke-filled unit to rescue him and ensure no other victims were present, said Councilman and Police Commissioner Mike Whelan. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge.)
The fire department asks that residents help keep hydrants clear of snow to aid quick access in emergencies. (Photo by Trish Russoniello. Click to enlarge)
By JOHN T. WARD
Eight hours before he was sworn into office, Soden and other volunteer firefighters worked their way up six flights of stairs to save a 79-year-old man who’d set his mattress ablaze when he fell asleep with a lit cigarette.
A pair of explosions audible from blocks away brought out the Red Bank Volunteer Fire Department shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday night. Deputy fire chief Pete DeFazio, responding to a report of an explosion in a propane-fueled barbecue grill at 95 South Street, witnessed the second explosion, which he said sent a flame about 15 feet into the air. He put the resulting fire out with an extinguisher, he said.
The owner of the home, Tim Carr, told firefighters he had shut the grill down about two hours earlier, authorities said. An investigation into the cause was underway.
No one was injured and there was no structural damage, said Chief Joe Lauterwasser. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
By JOHN T. WARD
Volunteer firefighters answering the 8:30 p.m. alarm found the street outside 19 Azalea Court “filled with smoke” on arrival, and the family who lived there safely outside, he said.