48° Rain

RED BANK: NEIGHBOR DOUSES PORCH FIRE

7 brown pl fire 043016 2A quick-thinking neighbor used a household fire extinguisher to douse a blaze that a passerby noticed on the porch fire of 7 Brown Place in Red Bank Saturday evening, officials said.

Their help contained the fire to the facade and porch roof, said Fire Chief Chris Soden, seen at center above. Information about the cause of the fire was not immediately available.  (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

 

RED BANK: LAUNDROMAT TO REOPEN

117 monmouth 040916 1retail churn smallFour months after the Brownstone Dry Cleaner and Laundromat on Monmouth Street in Red Bank was evicted over tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid rent, the self-serve laundromat portion of the operation is expected to reopen soon under new management, one of the building’s owners tells redbankgreen. Nearly all dry-cleaned clothing left behind by the former tenant has been returned to customers, and the storefont at the corner of Pearl Street remains available for lease, the owner said. (Click to enlarge)

SEA BRIGHT: CAT RESUSCITATED AFTER FIRE

donegoodlogoSea Bright volunteer firefighters revived an unconscious cat at the site of an apartment fire early Tuesday morning, the fire department reported on its Facebook page.

According to the post, stations 43 and 33 were dispatched to a townhouse in the Sea Bright Village for a reported structure fire. There, they encountered a blaze in the second story of a middle unit.

Read More »

FAIR HAVEN: FIREFIGHTER HELD FOR ARSON

just_inA Fair Haven volunteer firefighter was arrested and charged with arson Saturday, the Monmouth County Prosecutor announced Sunday evening.

Nicholas Joyce, 19, was alleged to have set a fire to a storage shed behind a church Friday afternoon. He then went to the borough firehouse, where he responded to the fire with other volunteers, according to Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.

Read More »

RED BANK: FIREHOUSE EATERY PLAN FILED

40 white st 021816 2Architect Mike Simpson’s drawings show outdoor dining areas in front of and beside the former firehouse. Below, the building’s interior in 2014. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

40 WHITE 092314 2Already on fire with new restaurants, Red Bank’s downtown dining market could get hotter soon.

The new owners of the former Liberty Hose Company firehouse on White Street hope to convert the 105-year-old building into a restaurant, with two luxury apartments upstairs.

Read More »

RED BANK: COPS HONORED AS LIFESAVERS

shea doremus albert 012716donegoodlogoThe Red Bank borough council honored three police officers — from left, Tanner Shea, TD Doremus and Cevin Albert — as lifesavers Wednesday night for their roles in the rescue of a senior citizen from smoke-filled apartment at the Wesleyan Arms apartments on January 1.

Seventy-nine-year-old Michael Malloy was asleep when a lighted cigarette set his mattress on fire, authorities said. The officers, responding to a medical call, heard his cries for help and then crawled through the smoke-filled unit to rescue him and ensure no other victims were present, said Councilman and Police Commissioner Mike Whelan. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge.) 

RED BANK: A PLUG FOR KEEPING PLUGS CLEAR

rb hydrant 012516In the aftermath of this weekend’s blizzard, Red Bank volunteer firefighters dug out a fire hydrant on Maple Avenue at Waverly Place Monday afternoon.

The fire department asks that residents help keep hydrants clear of snow to aid quick access in emergencies.  (Photo by Trish Russoniello. Click to enlarge)

RED BANK: A SAVE, AND THEN A SWEARING-IN

CHRIS SODEN 010116Chris Soden gives his oath as Red Bank fire chief at the Union Hose Company. Behind Soden are deputies Pete DeFazio, left, and Stu Jensen, partly obscured. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

donegoodlogoChris Soden’s term as Red Bank’s new fire chief got off to a smoky start Friday.

Eight hours before he was sworn into office, Soden and other volunteer firefighters worked their way up six flights of stairs to save a 79-year-old man who’d set his mattress ablaze when he fell asleep with a lit cigarette.

Read More »

RED BANK: BACKYARD BBQ GRILL EXPLODES

rb fire 122215 1A pair of explosions audible from blocks away brought out the Red Bank Volunteer Fire Department shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday night. Deputy fire chief Pete DeFazio, responding to a report of an explosion in a propane-fueled barbecue grill at 95 South Street, witnessed the second explosion, which he said sent a flame about 15 feet into the air. He put the resulting fire out with an extinguisher, he said.

The owner of the home, Tim Carr, told firefighters he had shut the grill down about two hours earlier, authorities said. An investigation into the cause was underway. 

No one was injured and there was no structural damage, said Chief Joe Lauterwasser. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

 

LITTLE SILVER: BLAZE LINKED TO FIREPLACE

ls azalea fire 112115 3The scene at 19 Azalea Court as firefighters began to cut an opening in the roof, below(Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

ls azalea fire 112115 2A fire that caused extensive damage to a Little Silver residence Saturday night is believed to have started in the fireplace chimney, fire Chief Reiss Pfleger tells redbankgreen.

Volunteer firefighters answering the 8:30 p.m. alarm found the street outside 19 Azalea Court “filled with smoke” on arrival, and the family who lived there safely outside, he said.

Read More »

LITTLE SILVER: FIRE AT AZALEA COURT HOME

ls azalea fire 112115 5 ls azalea fire 112115 4Volunteer firefighters from Little Silver and nearby towns were on the scene of a house fire at 19 Azalea Court in Little Silver Saturday night.

The occupants of the house, at the northern end of Sickels Park, were said to have evacuated safely. As of 9:15 p.m., firefighters had cut at least one hole in the home’s roof, as seen at right. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

RED BANK: BURNED BREAKFAST

rb fire 112215 4rb fire 112215 1A reported structure fire with an entrapped resident at the recently opened West Side Lofts luxury apartments in Red Bank turned out to be an unattended frying pan (seen at right) left on an active stove early Saturday morning.

Volunteer firefighters  responded to the 6:08 a.m. alarm and aired out the second-floor unit after retrieving its lone occupant, who appeared uninjured. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

SEA BRIGHT, RUMSON: SEEKING TOYS FOR TOTS

sbfd toys for tots 2015With an eye toward Christmas, volunteers in Sea Bright and Rumson are planning “toys for tots” drives in coming weeks.

Picking up an effort previously spearheaded by the borough police, the Sea Bright volunteer fire and first aid squads have scheduled a toy drive for Wednesday, December 2, Fire Chief Walter Olenhaus of Sea Bright Fire & Rescue tells redbankgreen.

Read More »

RED BANK: SMALL FIRE EMPTIES SCHOOL

rbps fire 111715The fire occurred in a transformer room, officials said. Below, the affected transformer. (Photo above by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

rbps transformer 111715Students at the Red Bank Primary School got a real-life lesson in responding to fire alarms Tuesday when a small transformer fire prompted an evacuation.

No injuries occurred during the incident, in which accumulated dust atop a transformer appeared to cause a wire to burn, Deputy Fire Chief Pete DeFazio told redbankgreen.

Read More »