MARSHAL: CABLE BURNED UNNOTICED

metro-fireA Red Bank firefighter dumps wet remnants from the apartment at the Metropolitan where a fire broke out Tuesday evening. (Photo by Dustin Racioppi; click to enlarge)

By DUSTIN RACIOPPI

An electrical fire was burning for at least 45 minutes before it was discovered at the Metropolitan apartments in Red Bank Tuesday evening, Fire Marshal Stanley Sickels said.

The fire, reported just before 7 p.m. Tuesday, started in a feeder cable to the second-story apartment’s electrical control panel, he said.

Because it broke out in the ceiling, no one was aware of the fire until it was too late.

“It definitely had been going for a while,” Sickels said.

Read More »