Stores, at right, were back in business as usual Monday, one day after a fire damaged a second-floor apartment at 43 Monmouth Street in Red Bank Sunday. Because customer furs are stored offsite, none were affected at Winters Furs, just below the location of the fire, said manager Rebecca Angello, and the Broadway Diner, next door, was reopened shortly after the blaze without any impact, a manager told redbankgreen. Fire Chief Tommy Welsh could not be reached for comment on the cause of the blaze, which displaced several tenants. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
Firefighters used the roof of the Broadway Diner to access the burning building next door until aerial truck ladders were deployed. Below, Matt Tasche, center, escaped the burning apartment unharmed. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
By JOHN T. WARD
Matt Tasche, 29, told redbankgreen he awoke at noon to the sound of his window air conditioner shutting off to find the apartment, above Winter Furs at 43 Monmouth Street, filling with smoke.