RED BANK: NEIGHBOR DOUSES PORCH FIRE


7 brown pl fire 043016 2A quick-thinking neighbor used a household fire extinguisher to douse a blaze that a passerby noticed on the porch fire of 7 Brown Place in Red Bank Saturday evening, officials said.

Their help contained the fire to the facade and porch roof, said Fire Chief Chris Soden, seen at center above. Information about the cause of the fire was not immediately available.  (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

 

RED BANK: BURNED HOME TO BE REPLACED

23 madison planrb fire 102214 1Five months after she was awakened by a smoke alarm and escaped to see her house go up in a ball of flame, a Red Bank woman won approval to replace the structure Thursday night. 

Designed by architect Ron Grammer, Joan Raymond’s new Craftsman-style house on Madison Avenue retains the original footprint. The plan met no opposition at the zoning board hearing.

A mother of three grown children who was alone at the time of fire, Raymond was unharmed, but lost her cat to the blaze, the cause of which was never definitively determined. She hopes to be in her new home by Christmas, she told redbankgreen. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

 

RED BANK: BURNHAM WINS ZONING CASE

cindy burnham 121814Cindy Burnham with her attorney, Ron Gasiorowski, at Thursday night’s zoning board hearing. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

HOT-TOPIC_03The fix wasn’t in – not this time at least.

Cindy Burnham, the lone Republican on the Red Bank council who often lambastes the Democratic majority for what she contends are back-room  development deals, went before the zoning board Thursday night seeking an OK for a new garage and back porch for her home at 71 Wallace Street.

She came loaded for bear.

Read More »

RED BANK: SMOKE ALARM ‘SAVED HER LIFE’

rb fire 102214 9Joan Raymond, at right above, outside her fire-damaged home, and getting a hug from a friend on her neighbor’s heat-blistered porch, below. (Video and photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

rb fire 102214 8October is National Fire Protection Month, one of those designations meant to save lives that many of us find too easy to tune out.

For Joan Raymond of Red Bank, however, a small piece of fire safety equipment meant the difference between being alive and dead Wednesday morning.

“I’m a heavy sleeper,” Raymond said, hours after fire tore through Madison Avenue house. And if not for a talking smoke alarm chriping the word “fire,” Raymond said, mimicking its voice, “I wouldn’t be here.”

“That smoke alarm saved her life,” said Fire Chief Tommy Welsh. “She’s alive because of that thing, no doubt about it.”

Read More »

RED BANK: WOMAN ESCAPES HOUSE FIRE

As firefighters arrived, an electrical line lay sparking in the driveway to the left of the burning house. (Video and photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

rb fire 102214 2A smoke alarm awoke a Red Bank woman shortly before fire engulfed her house early Wednesday morning.

Joan Raymond, of 23 Madison Avenue, said the smoke alarm, intoning a prerecorded “fire,” went off shortly after midnight, and she went downstairs to find her front porch in flames. She exited through the back door.

Read More »

RED BANK: BIKE THEFT CAUGHT ON VIDEO

Recognize this guy? He stole a bike from a porch on Harrison Avenue in Red Bank early Labor Day morning, apparently aware of – but undeterred by the presence of a video camera. If you know him or his funky footwear, give the cops a shout at (732) 5300-2700. (Click to enlarge)