Ls fireAn elderly patient evacuated from the building is led to a car as firefighters investigate the alarm.

Smoke from a outdoor trash fire briefly routed a two-story medical office building at 200 White Road in Little Silver this morning.

The fire appears to have been started by a cigarette or match thrown into a trash can by someone using the informal smoking area on the back, or south, side of the building, Fire Chief Frank Salerno tells redbankgreen.

Smoke from the burning trash was drawn into the building and filled the first floor, triggering an alarm at 10:44a and forcing the evacuation of patients and medical personnel, Salerno says.

The building was reopened about 45 minutes later. In the interim, traffic between Broad Street and Branch Avenue was slowed but continued moving.

Little Silver volunteer firefighters were joined by others from Shrewsbury on the call.

Email this story