An 18-year-old man was in stable condition with head trauma at Riverview Medical Center Wednesday afternoon following a beating he took from an unknown number of assailants Tuesday night, Red Bank police say.just_in

The discovery of the victim, at his parent’s home on Shrewsbury Avenue, followed two other reports of attacks on the West Side that had police scrambling.

Police Capt. Steve McCarthy, the department spokesman, tells redbankgreen that the department “had a number of calls about large fights” within little more than half an hour.

The first, at 10:30p, had officers looking for evidence of an attack in the vicinity of Shrewsbury Avenue and Drs. Parker Boulevard. They found none, McCarthy said.

At about 10:50, police responded to reports of a fight a few blocks west, at the Montgomery Terrace public housing apartments. Police arrived to find a large crowd dispersing, but no fight and no victim, according to McCarthy.

A short time later, police were called to a private home on Shrewsbury Avenue between Drs. Parker Boulevard and West Westside Avenue, a short distance from the location of the first call. There, inside the house, they found the victim, whose name they are withholding. He was transported to the hospital by the volunteer First Aid Squad, McCarthy said.

The latest word was that the victim was in stable condition “but he does have some head trauma,” McCarthy said.

Police believe the victim is a resident of either Red Bank or Eatontown, though that, like other facts of the case, remain unclear, McCarthy said.

Investigators “are still putting together what exactly occurred,” McCarthy said. But the investigation so far indicates that the assault took place at Montgomery Terrace, and that the victim was transported to his parent’s house before police arrived on the scene.

“There was an altercation between him and another subject,” McCarthy said of the victim. “At that point, a fight ensued, and at least one other person joined in in assaulting” the victim, he said.

Initial reports to police were that multiple assailants had the victim on the ground and were kicking him, McCarthy said.

Evidence so far suggests that the “everyone involved knew each other” and that there was  no involvement of gangs, McCarthy said. No weapons are believed to have been used in the attack, he said.

As for witnesses, “we believe there’s probably more than a few people who witnessed what happened,” McCarthy said.

Anyone with information to share about the case may call the department’s detective bureau at 732.530.2719. Anonymous tips may be left at 732.450.9704.