just_in1A 25-year-old Red Bank man is in custody after firing at least three shots at a vehicle on the West Side early Saturday morning, borough police say.

Though the car was hit by one bullet, neither of the two persons in the car when it was stopped by police shortly afterward was injured in the encounter, which occurred at 2:42 a near the corner of Shrewsbury Avenue and Drs. James Parker Boulevard, also known as West Bergen Place.

The motive for the shooting remains unknown.

Captain Darren McConnell tells redbankgreen that the alleged shooter, Terry Haupt, and the two occupants of the car “knew each other, but that’s about all we know.” He said they had been together at some point earlier in the night.

Haupt was arrested shortly afterward near the corner of Drs. Parker and Bridge Avenue, where the shooting is believed to have occurred. No weapon was immediately recovered.

Here’s the text of a press release about the incident that McConnell issued late Saturday night:

At approximately 2:42 am on Saturday morning, Ptl. Ashon Lovick was on
patrol in the area of W. Bergen Place and Shrewsbury Avenue when he
heard gunshots in the immediate vicinity. Lovick then observed a vehicle
leaving the area. Ptl. Lovick stopped the vehicle and determined that the
occupants were the victims of the shooting. They reported that a man had
just shot at their car, striking it at least once. None of the occupants were
injured as a result of the incident.

Ptl. Lovick and other officers went to the area of W. Bergen Place and
Bridge Avenue where the shooting was believed to have occurred. They
quickly located Terry Haupt, a twenty-five year old Red Bank man, who
was subsequently identified as the shooter. The motive for the shooting
has not been determined.

Haupt was arrested and charged with two counts of Aggravated Assault,
Possession of a Weapon, Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful
Purpose, and Certain Persons not to Possess Weapons. Haupt’s bail was
set at $250,000 by Superior Court Judge Francis DeStefano, and he was
transported to Monmouth County Jail. Anyone with information is asked to
contact Sgt. Michael Frazee or Inv. Juan Sardo of the department’s
detective bureau, which is conducting the investigation.