Middletown police made five arrests over the weekend, with incidents including two failed burglary attempts and somebody allegedly trying to lift candy, socks and lawn care products from a food store.

Two others were picked up on active arrest warrants, police said.

On Sunday, at about 12:44a, police arrested a 22-year-old Belford man for disorderly conduct.

The man, Michael Miller, of 9th Street, was one of two people found fleeing a Thompson Avenue home where a possible burglary in progress was reported. Detective Lieutenant Steve Dollinger said no burglary was committed.

Miller, who along with another suspect was spotted leaving the residence, was found in a nearby yard after a brief chase by police, Dollinger said. Miller was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. He was processed and released on a summons pending a court appearance.

Just 10 minutes later, police received another burglary report, this time on Burlington Avenue.

Patrolman Greg Buhowski, while checking the area, found three juveniles walking on a nearby street. He stopped the group, and after an investigation arrested a 16-year-old for possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. The teen was processed and released to his father pending a court appearance.

On Sunday night, a report of shoplifting resulted in the arrest of a 35-year-old woman at the Foodtown supermarket on Route 36.

Store security said they observed Heather Lenhart, of 7th Street, placing cough syrup, chocolate bars, socks, juice and Miracle Gro in her purse. She attempted to leave the store, but she was detained by store security, Dollinger said. Police took her into custody and charged her with shoplifting.

Two people were also arrested over the weekend for arrest warrants. The details:

James Oliver, 31, of Cedar Avenue, was arrested Friday on contempt of court warrants issued by Holmdel and Keansburg municipal courts. He was released after posting $456 bail.

William Garby, 24, of Brotherton Avenue, was arrested on contempt of court warrants issued by Atlantic Highlands and Tinton Falls municipal courts. He was released after posting $581 bail.