hot-topic rightA Sea Bright firefighter was injured in a fire Monday night at the home he shared with his father, Councilman Read Murphy.

Brett Murphy was burned on both hands following a blowback of the fire he started in a fireplace on the second floor of the rental property at 588 Ocean Avenue, his father said Tuesday night.

Murphy was taken to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch and then to the Burn Center at St. Barnabas in Livingston. He was released Tuesday night and is expected to make a full recovery in about eight weeks, Read Murphy said.

Firefighters quickly brought the 7:15 p.m. blaze under control.

Brett Murphy is the younger brother of borough Fire Chief Chad Murphy. Their father is a former fire chief.