Recurring flare-ups of a fire that destroyed a 120-year-old mansion in Little Silver Saturday afternoon had volunteer firefighters back on the scene that night and again Sunday morning. An aerial hose from Red Bank was on the scene around 11 a.m. Sunday to give the sprawling structure yet another soaking after fire and smoke were seen beneath the collapsed roof. (Click to enlarge)
By JOHN T. WARD
A runaway fire started by holiday candles destroyed a 120-year-old mansion in Little Silver Saturday afternoon.
Two hours after the 1:16 p.m. alarm, firefighters from a wide swath of northeastern Monmouth County had yet to stop the blaze, at 28 Carriage House Lane, just off Silverside Avenue.
One volunteer firefighter suffered a health issue that did not require treatment, and no injuries were reported, said police Chief Dan Shaffery.