FIRE QUICKLY DOUSED AT MOLLY PITCHER INN

Roofers doused the fire they accidentally started, officials say. (Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

A deck fire caused by a roofing torch was quickly doused without incident at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank at midday Wednesday.

Contractors doing work on an exterior promenade accidentally set the fire at the landmark hotel and put it out with a dry chemical extinguisher, said Fire Marshal Stanley Sickels.

Still, light smoke filled a hallway on the Navesink side of the structure, he said.

The fire was reported at about 12:45 p.m. Volunteers from the Middletown Rapid Intervention team responded along with Red Bank volunteers.