The summer SEAson is almost over, but it’s still a great time to be on the water, as well as to enjoy one last paddle with friends at Shore Paddle, the annual fundraising Stand Up Paddle event that presents its 2015 edition on Saturday, September 26 — and in a brand new location.
Hosted by Paddleguru, this final event of the SUP season offers something for all ages and experience levels, and benefits Clean Ocean Action, an environmental nonprofit dedicated to protecting our coastal ecosystems and waterways, keeping them safe and clean for all paddlers, swimmers, and beachgoers. While the setting for Shore Paddle remains the beautiful Navesink River, the event’s continued growth and popularity has resulted in its moving a few miles upriver this year, to Red Bank’s Marine Park.
It’s there that the action starts at 9:30 am, with featured activities that include a 6.5 Mile WPA Points Sanctioned Race, 2.5 Fun Paddle, and a ½ Mile Kids Paddle. Also on hand will be vendors, kids’ crafts, SUP demos, yoga sesions, and more. The event will conclude with an after party at Jamians Food and Drink on Monmouth Street, featuring an awards ceremony, free food and drinks, and live music.
Shore Paddle features:
• 6.5-mile WPA sanctioned non-points race (SUP & prone) with prizes for top finishers
• 2.5-mile fun paddle (SUP, prone & kayak)
• 1/2-mile kids paddle (SUP, prone & kayak) *more details below
• SUP rentals (don’t wait til the last minute to reserve yours!), demos and clinics
• Free Land Yoga and SUP Yoga classes
• Face painting, playground and eco-fun for the kids
• Hydration and light snacks (for paddlers) on site
• Coast Guard approved PFD (belt style is recommended) is required for all paddlers.
• Participants aged 13 and under must wear a vest-type PFD and use a board leash.
Kids Paddle Info:
• Kids Paddle is FREE
• Registration will take place at the event
• Age range is 8-13
• Paddlers must be accompanied by an adult on their own board
Registration prices for the race and fun paddle increase by $25 the day of the event, so be sure to sign up in advance here.
This event will take place rain or shine, and will only be canceled due to severely inclement conditions. All news and updates can be found at Shore Paddle on Facebook.
For questions regarding board rental, sponsorship and donations, please visit cleanoceanaction.org or contact Tory at Events@cleanoceanaction.org.