Fire damaged a vacant retail building at the corner of Shrewsbury Avenue and Catherine Street in Red Bank at about 8 p.m. Monday evening. The blaze was quickly brought under control by volunteer firefighters. Information about the cause was not immediately available.
The building, located at 203 Shrewsbury, next door to On the Rocks Wines and liquors, was last used as a fish market, but has been vacant since the 1990s. Property records indicate it is owned by Sandyriver LLC of Holmdel. (Photos by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)
[UPDATE, June 28: Fire Chief Chris Soden tells redbankgreen the fire was contained to the store’s facade behind metal sheathing. He said it may have been caused by a discarded cigarette that ignited trash used by rats to line a nest in the wall.]