Skip to content

A town square for an unsquare town

redbankgreen

Standing for the vitality of Red Bank, its community, and the fun we have together.

RED BANK: TRASH COLLECTION COSTS UP 27 PERCENT

DeLisa trash collection 03022026A DeLisa truck on the job Tuesday morning. (Photo by Brian Donohue. Click to enlarge.)

By BRIAN DONOHUE

The Borough of Red Bank began paying 27 percent more to the company that collects residents’ trash this week, but officials are still calling the price hike a relatively good deal as industry costs skyrocket. 
 


rb-trash-092414-2-500x375-1426246A 2014 photo from the pre-privatization days, when Red Bank Department of Public Utilities employees handled residential curbside trash collection. 

The Mayor and Borough Council unanimously approved a resolution on February 12, approving a new five-year contract with DeLisa Demolition Inc. of Tinton Falls. The contract took effect on March 1, according to the resolution. 

DeLisa, a company that has handled trash and recyclables collection since the borough privatized the operations in 2015, was the sole bidder for the contract.

While a 27-percent increase sounds steep, Borough Manager Jim Gant told the council he feared far worse when the contract neared expiration and the borough prepared to seek bids for a new one.

By comparison, Gant said three comparable New Jersey towns that renewed trash hauling contracts recently had seen increases of 40 percent, 73 percent and 97 percent.

Gant did not name those towns, but an internet search shows recent increases of 73 percent in Hoboken; 45 percent in Clifton; and 50 percent in Pequannock. 

“Red Bank did very well in this bid cycle,” Gant said. “We were holding our breath, kind of expecting these results, but again I was quite happy.”

“Unfortunately, nowadays, it’s something that’s experienced by municipalities all over New Jersey; these bids generally only get one bidder, and, you know, it’s an issue in the industry,” he said. “However, it’s a service that has to be provided as a matter of public health and safety.”

The borough last year paid DeLisa $1,065,000 under the final year of the previous contract. The annual payment for the year starting March 1 will now be $1,358,400, according to Gant. 

Councilman Ben Forest raised the question of whether the cost increases and lack of bidders might make it worth considering whether, “at the next cycle,” the borough’s Department of Public Utilities should resume the task of handling trash and recyclables pickup.

“Is this something we should look at, possibly, and keep our options open in the future?” Forest said. “I’m uncomfortable with one bidder.” I’d like to maybe keep that door open, find out what it would maybe cost. It sounded like it saves us money initially, but I’d like to take a look, does it still make sense to do it privately?”

“When it was being debated by a previous council it was about competition and having choices,” Forest added. “And now we don’t have the competition part.”

Borough Attorney Greg Cannon said towns are seeing fewer bidders for waste hauling contracts because of the “significant amount of risk, particularly for the length of time that towns want to lock in prices.”

“As a lawyer who looks at these in every town, you’re not the only one who has gotten only one bidder,” he said. 

Cannon said rising energy costs and the plummeting value of recyclable materials were key factors.

“There was a moment in history where the amount of money you could get for recyclables was high, you would commonly see six or seven bidders on every contract,” Cannon said. “The same bidder tends to bid in the town that they bid because they know it the best, better than anyone else and they have a built-in advantage when the market is bad and risky for the haulers.”

Gant added that a primary issue with taking trash collection back in-house is the exorbitant cost of workers’ compensation insurance the borough would have to pay.

The last contract renewal in 2020 led to a flap centering around allegations that members of the borough council were meddling in the bidding process. 

redbankgreen editor Brian Donohue may be reached via email at [email protected] or by calling or texting 848-331-8331.

Do you value the news coverage provided by redbankgreen? Please become a financial supporter if you haven’t already. Click here to set your own level of monthly or annual contribution.

Follow Red Bank Green on Instagram
@redbankgreen
Remember: Nothing makes a Red Bank friend happier than to hear "I saw you on Red Bank Green!"
redbankgreen Classics
Partyline
RBG CUB SIGHTING
A Partyline contributor positioned on the dais at Thursday's meeting of the Zoning Board of Adjustment captured redbankgreen reporter intern ...
DOWNPOUR STRAINS DRAIN
Partyline captures video of a flooded intersection during Tuesday's afternoon thunderstorm.
STILL ‘OPEN’ SPACE
Next to Fins and Feathers, very surprised to see an overgrown parking lot that still sits there…overgrown and with blacktop. (Photo and te ...
DARK COMEDY BY JERSEY DIRECTOR OPENS FILM FEST
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off with "In Memoriam," a dark comedy about an actor with six months to live.
Indie Street Film Festival Kicks Off
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off.
KUDOS FOR RBCS FINANCE WHIZZES
Monmouth County Board of Commissioners and Borough Council honor Red Bank Charter School students who took second place in a national financ ...
MARINE PARK HOT DOGS
Red Bank's newly remade Marine Park also has a new lunch option, a newly licensed hot dog cart.
MATCHA CLOSE UP
Partyline captures a photographer working for Aura Coffee Roaster angles for the perfect shot of two iced matcha lattes on Broad Street Mond ...
SOUTH STREET AUTHOR TO READ AT LIBRARY SATURDAY
South Street resident Scott Robertson will read selections from his book, Contents of a Curious Mind, Saturday, Aug. 8, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 ...
EARTH SPIRIT FOUNDER DIES
Jocelyn Ruth Midose, longtime owner of Earth Spirit New Age Center has died.
A PERFECT NATIONAL NIGHT OUT
The annual National Night Out event organized by the Red Bank Police Department drew hundreds to frolic amid the green grass and cotton cand ...
Blackhawk Helicopter Arrives for National Night Out
The Blackhawk helicopter has arrived. Everyone’s favorite part of each National Night Out hosted by the Red Bank Police Department jus ...
PARKING METER MOMENT
Patty Bishop of Verona was halfway through her haircut at Fox & Jane when she realized she needed to feed the parking meter. After she p ...
JOIN US AT JJ’S – PLEASE!
A doe-eyed sect of sentient boba teas sweetly beseeches us to join their adorable cult outside of JJ Delicacies this sticky August Sunday!
NEIGHBORS GATHER AT TINO’S
Chris Havens of River Street gathered group of Red Bankers for dinner on Thursday night. The gathering was in the back patio of Tino’s Mex ...
TREE BRANCH VS CAR
A tree branch fell on a parked car on Chestnut Street near Pearl Street Sunday. Submitted by Brian Donohue Follow Red Bank Green on Instagra ...
APOSTROPHE CATASTROPHE
As a curmudgeonly curator of terrible punctuation on public signs, I’ve seen and shaken my head at a lot of gratuitous quotation marks ...
DANE FOR DEMOCRACY
redbankgreen Partyline captures a great dane who, all signs indicate, has had enough.
SUNFLOWER GAUNTLET
On the Partyline: a sunflower guantlet on River Street.
VIGIL FOR 68 DEAD
About 100 people attended a Saturday vigil at Johnny Jazz Park in Red Bank as part of a nationwide series of events to mourn the lives of pe ...