RED BANK WOMAN BURNED IN WAX FIRE

A stove fire involving candle wax left a Red Bank woman with significant burns to both hands Monday morning, borough police report.

Susan Frieri, 51, of Branch Avenue, was transported to Riverview Medical Center by Little Silver volunteer first aiders on the 11:20 a.m. call of a possible house fire, said Captain Darren McConnell.

Red Bank firefighters also responded to the address, at the corner of East Bergen Place, to find that other family members had smothered a stove fire.

McConnell said Frieri was melting wax in a pot on the stove when, after briefly leaving it unattended, she returned and found the wax boiling over and on fire.

Smoke from the fire prompted neighbors to call in a house fire, he said.

Frieri apparently tried to put out the fire or move the pot, resulting in second-degree burns to her hands, McConnell said. She also suffered a superficial facial burn, he said.

McConnell said last word was that Frieri was to be transferred to the Burn Center at St. Barnabas in Livingston for treatment.