Skip to content

A town square for an unsquare town

redbankgreen

Standing for the vitality of Red Bank, its community, and the fun we have together.

RED BANK: BURNHAM BLASTS PARK DELAY

rb-tennis-081915-2-500x375-4633592The clay tennis courts at Marine Park as seen last month. (Photo by John T. Ward. Click to enlarge)

By JOHN T. WARD

hot-topic_03-220x138-2130637Five months after three proposals were submitted, the Red Bank council has yet to receive a recommendation on the future of the hurricane-damaged Marine Park clay tennis courts, and may not get one before election day.

That has Republican Councilwoman Cindy Burnham — who redbankgreen has learned was chastised behind closed doors by her colleagues for saying too much about the issue — ramping up her complaints that there’s something “fishy” going on.

At Wednesday night’s semimonthly council meeting, Mayor Pasquale Menna and borough Attorney Dan O’Hern cautioned Burnham, as they have in the past, about discussing in public a matter that could be a subject of contractual negotiation or even litigation.

Burnham pressed ahead, though, saying she wanted to limit her questions to matters of law. Isn’t there a time limit in which the council has to act on the Marine Park request for proposals, or RFP, she asked? And where is the promised recommendation from the three-person committee headed by Councilwoman Linda Schwabenbauer, she added.

Schwabenbauer replied that she needed to “reconvene the committee” of herself and council members Kathy Horgan and Ed Zipprich to address outstanding issues. But that meeting will not take place, she said, before a new Parks and Rec department director is hired to replace Memone Crystian, who resigned in May and whose post is now filled on an acting basis by Tamila Bumback. Interviews are underway, and should be completed in about four weeks, Schwabenbauer said.

O’Hern said that, technically, the state Local Public Contracts Law does require action within 60 days. But the Marine Park situation, he said, was not as simple as one in which the town was buying a piece of equipment or putting work out to bid.

“This is a little more complicated,” O’Hern said, adding that the time could be extended upon agreement by bidders. Asked if the the three bidders had agreed, O’Hern said, “I don’t think we’ve received any objections.”

On Thursday, Burnham took to Facebook to complain. Here’s her post:

burnham-fb-post-092415-500x480-5848925
Burnham, however, isn’t the only person on the council who’s concerned about a lawsuit by one of the bidders. Others on the governing body fear that Burnham might be the catalyst for one.

It turns out that the “possible litigation” that prompted the closed-door council meeting held after the September 9 council session was held in part was to warn Burnham that her public comments on the matter could trigger a suit.

Earlier this week, Menna told redbankgreen that the borough had received a request for a blank tort claim notice form from one of the three Marine Park candidates, though he declined to say which one. A tort claim notice is required under state law before a lawsuit can be filed against a municipality.

That request, in part, prompted the executive session, he said. And while declining to offer details, Menna said the session “didn’t focus on Councilwoman Burnham,” but that “there is a concern about people going outside scope” of the deliberative process.

During the meeting, according to a source who asked not to be named, Burnham “was warned repeatedly to stop her posts on social media” about the RFPs.

Afterward, Burnham told redbankgreen that she wanted to disclose the contents of the meeting, but was meeting with her own attorney over the issue of whether she could speak freely.

Menna said he “can’t say what exchanges took place or the tenor” of the dialogue.

Previously, Republican party chairman Sean DiSomma had complained that Democratic Councilman Mike DuPont “leaked” information from the ongoing bid-review process to the media. DuPont denied the claim.

Three groups are angling to take control of the courts site, which was damaged during Hurricane Sandy nearly three years ago and has remained unusable since. They are:

Jetsun Enterprises, which has proposed leasing the site from the borough and creating a privately-owned, $3.5 million multiuse facility offering miniature golf, a miniature artificial-ice rink and rentals of canoes, kayaks and other watercraft.

Marine Park Activity Center, which calls for building a conventional boathouse with a catering facility at the site.

• And Jim Cullen, of Locust, who has said he would donate $500,000 to restore and upgrade the courts and provide a budget for maintenance.

 

Follow Red Bank Green on Instagram
@redbankgreen
Remember: Nothing makes a Red Bank friend happier than to hear "I saw you on Red Bank Green!"
redbankgreen Classics
Partyline
RBG CUB SIGHTING
A Partyline contributor positioned on the dais at Thursday's meeting of the Zoning Board of Adjustment captured redbankgreen reporter intern ...
DOWNPOUR STRAINS DRAIN
Partyline captures video of a flooded intersection during Tuesday's afternoon thunderstorm.
STILL ‘OPEN’ SPACE
Next to Fins and Feathers, very surprised to see an overgrown parking lot that still sits there…overgrown and with blacktop. (Photo and te ...
DARK COMEDY BY JERSEY DIRECTOR OPENS FILM FEST
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off with "In Memoriam," a dark comedy about an actor with six months to live.
Indie Street Film Festival Kicks Off
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off.
KUDOS FOR RBCS FINANCE WHIZZES
Monmouth County Board of Commissioners and Borough Council honor Red Bank Charter School students who took second place in a national financ ...
MARINE PARK HOT DOGS
Red Bank's newly remade Marine Park also has a new lunch option, a newly licensed hot dog cart.
MATCHA CLOSE UP
Partyline captures a photographer working for Aura Coffee Roaster angles for the perfect shot of two iced matcha lattes on Broad Street Mond ...
SOUTH STREET AUTHOR TO READ AT LIBRARY SATURDAY
South Street resident Scott Robertson will read selections from his book, Contents of a Curious Mind, Saturday, Aug. 8, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 ...
EARTH SPIRIT FOUNDER DIES
Jocelyn Ruth Midose, longtime owner of Earth Spirit New Age Center has died.
A PERFECT NATIONAL NIGHT OUT
The annual National Night Out event organized by the Red Bank Police Department drew hundreds to frolic amid the green grass and cotton cand ...
Blackhawk Helicopter Arrives for National Night Out
The Blackhawk helicopter has arrived. Everyone’s favorite part of each National Night Out hosted by the Red Bank Police Department jus ...
PARKING METER MOMENT
Patty Bishop of Verona was halfway through her haircut at Fox & Jane when she realized she needed to feed the parking meter. After she p ...
JOIN US AT JJ’S – PLEASE!
A doe-eyed sect of sentient boba teas sweetly beseeches us to join their adorable cult outside of JJ Delicacies this sticky August Sunday!
NEIGHBORS GATHER AT TINO’S
Chris Havens of River Street gathered group of Red Bankers for dinner on Thursday night. The gathering was in the back patio of Tino’s Mex ...
TREE BRANCH VS CAR
A tree branch fell on a parked car on Chestnut Street near Pearl Street Sunday. Submitted by Brian Donohue Follow Red Bank Green on Instagra ...
APOSTROPHE CATASTROPHE
As a curmudgeonly curator of terrible punctuation on public signs, I’ve seen and shaken my head at a lot of gratuitous quotation marks ...
DANE FOR DEMOCRACY
redbankgreen Partyline captures a great dane who, all signs indicate, has had enough.
SUNFLOWER GAUNTLET
On the Partyline: a sunflower guantlet on River Street.
VIGIL FOR 68 DEAD
About 100 people attended a Saturday vigil at Johnny Jazz Park in Red Bank as part of a nationwide series of events to mourn the lives of pe ...