CAUSE OF LINE FIRE SOUGHT
Wires above the Red Bank Armory Ice Complex show the effects of a fire that melted their insulation this morning.
A crew from Jersey Central Power & Light is out on Chestnut Street in Red Bank this morning seeking the cause of a fire that burned the insulation off a two-block length of electrical lines.
The incident, in which a 4,200-volt line was sparking and smoking, caused a shutdown of the street between the railroad station and Pearl Street for about an hour beginning at 8:30a, according to second deputy fire chief John Mego.
Mego said three feeder lines between Maple Avenue and Wall Street were smoking when he arrived on the scene.
The street was reopened to traffic after utility company representatives said they could not find any indication of a problem, Mego said. A crew remained on site investigating the matter as of 9:40a.
There was no loss of power to nearby homes and businesses in the interim, Mego said.