A Long Branch man was in the Monmouth County jail on $101,000 bail following his capture, escape and re-arrest by Red Bank police on burglary and other charges yesterday.

The incident began when the occupant of a Shrewsbury Avenue apartment returned home shortly before 11:30a to find the place had been burglarized, and ran after a man who had just hurried past him.

While chasing the suspect, the victim flagged down Lt. Darren McConnell, who was on patrol. After taking a description of the suspect, McConnell drove the victim around the area. A short time later, the victim spotted a man later identified as Jason Czeslaw, 33, near the intersection of Oakland Street and Maple Avenue, and ID’d him as the alleged burglar.

According to a press release from Capt. Steve McCarthy, when McConnell attempted to take Czeslaw into custody, the suspect resisted and discarded a sum of money under the police car. Czeslaw was arrested and taken to the Red Bank Police headquarters, where he asked to be taken to Riverview Medical Center for injuries that he said he received during his arrest.

While at Riverview, Czeslaw escaped from police custody. The subsequent search for Czeslaw involved the use of Tinton Falls police dogs in the downtown district, McCarthy said redbankgreen.

“Everybody who was working was involved in the search,” McCarthy said of the department.

At 4:05 pm, off-duty Sgt. John Riley spotted a man who he thought matched the description of the escapee on Harrison Avenue. Lt. Joshua Berbrick and Ptl. Robert Kennedy were called, and they arrested Czeslaw, without incident. The suspect was found to be carrying less than 50 grams of marijuana, McCarthy says.

Czeslaw, who had fled the hospital before he could be treated, did not ask to go back to hospital after he was recaptured, according to McCarthy.

Also yesterday, police caught a man in the act of burglarizing a liquor store where he was also an employee, they say.

Answering a burglar alarm at the Bridge Avenue store at 7:19a, Ptl. Ashon Lovick found suspect David White, 30, a store employee who said he had been walking by when he noticed the store window broken and stopped in to check.

After an investigation, White was arrested and charged with burglary, theft, and criminal mischief. A sum of money had been taken from he store, but it was not immediately recovered, McCarthy said.

Subsequent investigation by Lt. Michael Clay and Sgt. Eliot Ramos led to White being charged with filing a false police report in connection with a purported burglary of his Monmouth Street apartment on October 26.

Muncipal Judge William Himelman set White’s bail at $14,500.00 and ordered him transferred to the Monmouth County Correctional Facility.

Email this story