Skip to content

A town square for an unsquare town

redbankgreen

Standing for the vitality of Red Bank, its community, and the fun we have together.

FAIR HAVEN: ARBORCIDE AT NATURAL AREA

fh-nature-areaNature enthusiasts want the borough to fund restoration of a mistakenly cleared-out area at the Fair Haven Fields Natural Area. Below, the affected site. (Photos by Dustin Racioppi; click to enlarge)

By DUSTIN RACIOPPI

fh-nature-area1

Several years of toil by nature-loving volunteers was undone in Fair Haven last month when borough employees mistakenly destroyed some 150 baby trees, officials said Monday.

Sometime last month, public works employees, while doing routine maintenance at the Fair Haven Fields Natural Area, errantly bushwhacked about 150 small trees planted to protect the area from Asian Bittersweet vines, an invasive species that had destroyed at least 20 percent of the area’s plant life, said volunteer Richard Magovern.

Now, what was once a well-fortified thicket of small trees is an open patch of green, a visible chink in the armor used to fight off an invasive adversary.

As the borough government continues to put attention on its prized “recreation Mecca” that caters to cleats-wearing kids and lawn chair-toting parents, a number of volunteers whose work in the adjoining woodland was set back are asking the council to come up with some funds to undo the damage.

Following a presentation by local officials on a plan to move into the second phase of Fair Haven Fields‘ upgrade plan Monday night, two men who’ve worked at the fields’ natural area urged the council to funnel some of the money to be used on the fields toward that stretch of now-cleared land.

Although council members acknowledged what they termed a tragic accident at the preserve, potential incoming funds from Monmouth County and the state won’t be earmarked for the area’s restoration, they said. Instead, the borough will follow through on a long-term action plan utilizing its own money, Mayor Mike Halfacre said.

“It was a mistake,” Halfacre said. “We’re going to make that right.”

Volunteers are worried that the council’s verbal assurance won’t be enough. Going without a commitment from the borough to fix the mistake is an “exercise in frustration,” said Dick Fuller, one of a group of volunteers who’ve spent hundreds of hours taking steps to protect the area.

Magovern and Fuller both say they accept that the clear-cutting was an accident.

But when the council listened to a plan to apply for $250,000 in a matching Monmouth County Open Spaces grant to add a baseball field and expand the existing fields and walking paths at Fair Haven Fields, Fuller and Magovern couldn’t stand by and let the mistake go unnoticed.

If the borough wins the full $250,000, it would match the award, although $195,000 of it would come from a low-interest Green Acres loan. The remaining $55,000 would be covered by the borough’s capital budget, Halfacre said.

The borough would be better served, Fuller said, if the grant application included funding for tree restoration at the natural area.

For the last few years, Fuller and Magovern, along with a team of volunteers working in their free time and on a shoestring budget, have put in hundreds of hours to clear out the invasive vines and planted hundreds of small trees to combat the deadly brush.

“Large invasives haven’t been addressed” by the borough, Fuller said. “What has been done there has been done on the cheap.”

With funding piecemeal, through various line items in the borough’s budget, Fuller said if a portion of the grant money doesn’t go toward the nature preserve, the destruction by the strangling vines will continue.

“If that’s going to be in the application, then I say thank you,” Magovern said. “If not, then I think you owe an apology to a lot of the people who volunteered their time.”

Halfacre cautioned Fuller and Magovern not to confuse an accident with the grant application. Through line items for the parks and recreation, public works and administrative departments in the borough budget, he said the nature area does and will receive attention to continue its protection.

“The long-term natural area plan is in place,” Halfacre said. “I don’t want anyone to get the idea that the natural area is abused or neglected. Nothing could be farther from the truth.”

Fuller said while regular maintenance at the area has helped, he believes more needs to be done now that the damage is done.

“I’m not sure that the point was well-conveyed that there is a distinction between maintenance and restoration,” he said. “Maintenance has improved greatly, but their resources for restoration just don’t match the problem.”

Follow Red Bank Green on Instagram
@redbankgreen
Remember: Nothing makes a Red Bank friend happier than to hear "I saw you on Red Bank Green!"
redbankgreen Classics
Partyline
RBG CUB SIGHTING
A Partyline contributor positioned on the dais at Thursday's meeting of the Zoning Board of Adjustment captured redbankgreen reporter intern ...
DOWNPOUR STRAINS DRAIN
Partyline captures video of a flooded intersection during Tuesday's afternoon thunderstorm.
STILL ‘OPEN’ SPACE
Next to Fins and Feathers, very surprised to see an overgrown parking lot that still sits there…overgrown and with blacktop. (Photo and te ...
DARK COMEDY BY JERSEY DIRECTOR OPENS FILM FEST
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off with "In Memoriam," a dark comedy about an actor with six months to live.
Indie Street Film Festival Kicks Off
Indie Street Film Festival kicks off.
KUDOS FOR RBCS FINANCE WHIZZES
Monmouth County Board of Commissioners and Borough Council honor Red Bank Charter School students who took second place in a national financ ...
MARINE PARK HOT DOGS
Red Bank's newly remade Marine Park also has a new lunch option, a newly licensed hot dog cart.
MATCHA CLOSE UP
Partyline captures a photographer working for Aura Coffee Roaster angles for the perfect shot of two iced matcha lattes on Broad Street Mond ...
SOUTH STREET AUTHOR TO READ AT LIBRARY SATURDAY
South Street resident Scott Robertson will read selections from his book, Contents of a Curious Mind, Saturday, Aug. 8, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 ...
EARTH SPIRIT FOUNDER DIES
Jocelyn Ruth Midose, longtime owner of Earth Spirit New Age Center has died.
A PERFECT NATIONAL NIGHT OUT
The annual National Night Out event organized by the Red Bank Police Department drew hundreds to frolic amid the green grass and cotton cand ...
Blackhawk Helicopter Arrives for National Night Out
The Blackhawk helicopter has arrived. Everyone’s favorite part of each National Night Out hosted by the Red Bank Police Department jus ...
PARKING METER MOMENT
Patty Bishop of Verona was halfway through her haircut at Fox & Jane when she realized she needed to feed the parking meter. After she p ...
JOIN US AT JJ’S – PLEASE!
A doe-eyed sect of sentient boba teas sweetly beseeches us to join their adorable cult outside of JJ Delicacies this sticky August Sunday!
NEIGHBORS GATHER AT TINO’S
Chris Havens of River Street gathered group of Red Bankers for dinner on Thursday night. The gathering was in the back patio of Tino’s Mex ...
TREE BRANCH VS CAR
A tree branch fell on a parked car on Chestnut Street near Pearl Street Sunday. Submitted by Brian Donohue Follow Red Bank Green on Instagra ...
APOSTROPHE CATASTROPHE
As a curmudgeonly curator of terrible punctuation on public signs, I’ve seen and shaken my head at a lot of gratuitous quotation marks ...
DANE FOR DEMOCRACY
redbankgreen Partyline captures a great dane who, all signs indicate, has had enough.
SUNFLOWER GAUNTLET
On the Partyline: a sunflower guantlet on River Street.
VIGIL FOR 68 DEAD
About 100 people attended a Saturday vigil at Johnny Jazz Park in Red Bank as part of a nationwide series of events to mourn the lives of pe ...