Press release from Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School
The Annual Awards Program for graduating seniors was presented at on the evening of June 8. Over 80 awards were presented to members of the RFH Class of 2015, including Valedictorian Recognition, Departmental Achievement Awards, Student Life Awards, and Honorary Awards and Scholarships.
RFH Principal Dr. Tracy Handerhan presented the Valedictorian Achievement Award to Alexandra Siwulec. The Valedictorian for the Class of 2015 also received the American Association of University Women 2015 Book Award, Catalyst STEM Award, Holy Cross Church Scholarship Award, U.S. Marine Corps Scholastic Excellence Award, and Superintendent’s Award.
A leader of several extracurricular clubs and activities, and a talented pianist who participated in the Golden Key Music Festivals in Vienna and New York City, Alexandra plans to attend the University of Pennsylvania, where she will major in biophysics and minor in Latin as part of the College of Arts and Sciences and Vagelos Molecular Life Sciences Program.
Other awards presented to RFH seniors this year included:
- Alyson M. Raywood Scholarship – A 2013 RFH graduate, Alyson M. Raywood completed her first year at St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia before passing on October 14, 2014 at the age of 19 after a courageous two-year battle against cancer. The Alyson M. Raywood Scholarship was created to honor an individual who has suffered a tragedy but continues to fight on while maintaining a positive outlook. The scholarship was presented to Erin Blewett by Alyson’s mother Ro Raywood.
- Class of 2009 Scholarship Award – RFH Class of 2009 graduates Stephen Noglows, Timothy Robinson, and Daniel Ryan presented this new award to Ashley Adler in honor of their late friend and classmate Robert Anthony Melita. Funds for the scholarship were raised by the First Annual Robert Melita Softball Tournament.
- Robert Anthony Melita Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to an RFH senior who, like Robert Anthony Melita, possesses the courage to stand up for what he or she believes in regardless of popular opinion and serves as an advocate for others. This year’s Robert Anthony Melita Scholarship was presented to Abbey Weis by Robert’s sisters Lauren and Haley Melita.
- Catalyst STEM Award – This new award recognizes two outstanding students planning to study science, technology, engineering, or math at the post-secondary level. Dr. Tracy Handerhan presented the Catalyst STEM Award to Russell Binaco and Alexandra Siwulec.
- U.S. Army Reserve Top Future Soldier Award – This award was presented by Sgt. Ethan Newago to Anthony Sciametta, who has enlisted in the Infantry Division of the U.S. Army.
- American Patriot Award – This award is given to a senior who has displayed honor, courage, and commitment by taking the oath to protect and defend our country as a United States Marine. Michael Longo received this award from Sgt. Pedro V. Roman.
Gold and Silver Awards were presented to RFH seniors at a breakfast held on April 17. Students from the RFH Class of 2015 amassed 58 Gold Awards and 31 Silver Awards. A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 4.00 at the conclusion of the seventh high school semester qualifies students for the Gold Award. A cumulative GPA of 3.67 at the conclusion of the seventh semester earns the Silver Award.