A Monmouth County grand jury declined to indict a Rumson man for his alleged involvement in a bench-clearing brawl at at baseball game at Red Bank Regional in April, the Asbury Park Press reported Saturday.

Actually, the Press says the grand jury “failed” to indict Patrick Maisto, 49, citing his attorney, Mitchell Ansell, as the source.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed the grand jury “failed to indict” Maistro, the Press reports.

From the Press:

Maisto, a Rumson-Fair Haven parent, was charged with simple assault in April after police said he attacked a Red Bank Regional player during a fight which started in the bottom of the sixth inning. Both teams were ejected from the Rumson-Fair Haven Regional at Red Bank Regional baseball game after the brawl emptied benches in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Maisto pleaded not guilty and hired a private investigator, his attorney said.

Ansell issued a statement on Thursday after Maisto was cleared of the simple assault charge.

“The Monmouth County grand jury heard all of the state’s evidence against Pat Maisto and they have decided that there wasn’t even probable cause to believe that Pat committed these crimes,” Ansell said.

“Obviously, Pat and his family are ecstatic with the grand jury’s findings, which happened in the last two weeks,” he said. “We had maintained from the onset that Pat was not guilty of any wrong doing and the grand jury’s decision to no bill this case completely exonerates Pat Maisto.

“When Pat was first arrested, I cautioned that people should withhold judgment until all of the facts were presented as it could be very dangerous to come to conclusion without having all of the evidence in front of you. Pat and his family are hopeful that with the grand jury’s decision he can no return back to his private life and hopefully restore his reputation in the community as a decent, peaceful and honest man,” Ansell said.

Both teams later were declared ineligible for the NJSIAA Tournament, because both teams had three or more players ejected before the start of the state tournament, NJSIAA assistant director Larry White said.